Sunday, June 20, 2010

A day that means so much...

As we reflect on Fathers day and how much the men in our lives mean to us I can't help but think of how much God has really blessed me.  It was 30 years ago that I was born.  My mother was young, and foolish ;), she married a man who had some major issues.  She realized how many issues he really had once the "honeymoon" of their marriage ended.  I believe I was about 6 months old when my biological father was sentenced to 10 years in prison for raping a 15 year old girl.  It was shortly after that (maybe I was about two) that my mom met my dad.  He said that he married my mother because of me.  My mom said I would go around calling him "Daddy George".  Just the thought of that makes me smile.  My mom said that he would take me early in the morning on Sundays and we would go driving.  By the time it was lunch time he would stop and get a bag of steamed shrimp (only Maryland can make them the way I LOVE them) and we would sit in the van and eat them.  Maybe this explains my LOVE for steamed shrimp.  By the time I was 5 my dad was able to adopt me and gave me his last name.  I cherish this moment.  Not every man that comes into a woman's life will take on the responsibility of someone else's child.  I am glad he loved me as if I was his own.  I have never thought of him as "step" dad.  He is just dad! I remember the day he taught me to ride my bike.  It was on a dirt driveway and he would run behind me with his hand on the seat and then without me knowing it would let me go and follow me to make sure I didn't crash.  I remember he took me to the lower field of the farm we lived on and showed me what wild strawberries were.  I remember when he taught me to fly a kite.  He taught me how to drive a car.  He was so proud of the day I took my drivers course and passed. I remember the day my dad accepted Christ as His Saviour.  He walked out of our kitchen as Mr. Dorsey had just shown him how to be saved, and with tears in his eyes said he had something exciting to tell us. I never cried so hard.  What an answer to prayer!  I remember when I stood at the pulpit of my graduation and read my speech.  I walked down to give my mom a rose and my dad a hug and with tears in his eyes and a big grin on his face he said he was proud of me.  I remember the night he left me for college.  My mom was so strong, and my dad walked out of the house and was on the porch.  My mom said "you should probably go talk to him".  I went out there and sure enough, he was crying.  To type that brings back that GREAT memory.  It was probably the first time I ever felt his real love for me.  You know how we can be as teenagers.  Ungrateful and such.  I never appreciated his true love and sacrifice for me until college.  The day I was to walk down the aisle and marry my best friend, he stood beside me, arm in arm, nervous and kept saying "what do I say when we get to the end?" I would just laugh and tell him "Her mother and I do".  I remember him all dressed up in his tux, the first time he ever wore one he said.  I helped him put his bow tie on.  He was so nervous! You would have thought he was getting married :).  I remember how I felt to have my dad there, walking me down the aisle, giving me away to my best friend. He smiled the rest of the day.  Maybe because he thought he had finally gotten rid of me lol. Today, I'm busy with life, working, being responsible most of the time, and enjoying what God gives me on a daily basis. Every once in a while, in the middle of all the chaos life seems to give, my phone will ring, I will look down, and it will say "dad".  I stop all that I am doing, pick up the phone, and spend the next 15-45 minutes talking with the man who was part of making me who I am today.  So when today comes around, Fathers day, I can't help, with tears in my eyes, thank the Lord for such a Great Father.  I know that not all my decisions have made him proud of me, but in a moments notice, without warning, if I were ever in need of him, he would drop everything and be there by my side.  I am thankful that I have these memories, and thankful for such a Great man in my life.  Dad, may you enjoy this day and know that your daughter is proud to have you as a father!
I love you....

No comments: